Yard-birding poll & eBird #poll

Jim Rowoth

Some of you are already doing this, but here's a poll for SJBird members.

1)  Do you live in San Joaquin Co?

2)  Do you watch the birds in your yard?

3)  Would you be willing to submit a daily eBird list for your yard during the current coronavirus "emergency"?

Thank you all in advance!

Thank you for voting.

Pat Croft

Yes I am willing to submit a daily e bird list from my backyard to e bird.  Actually I am doing it already.   Dave

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Some of you are already doing this, but here's a poll for SJBird members.

1)  Do you live in San Joaquin Co?

2)  Do you watch the birds in your yard?

3)  Would you be willing to submit a daily eBird list for your yard during the current coronavirus "emergency"?

Thank you all in advance!

1. 1. Yes, I live in San Joaquin Co.
2. 1.. No, I live outside San Joaquin Co.
3. 2. Yes, I watch the birds in my yard.
4. 2. No, I don't watch the birds in my yard.
5. 3. Yes, I'd be willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds. (Contact rowoth@... if you need help.)
6. 3. No, I am not willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds.

Vote Now

I answered yes to birding my yard daily during the Coronavirus outbreak but I wanted to clarify that during the week I leave for work before the sun rises and get home after it sets so I can only submit my yard list on weekends but I do submit a daily list from work, even if it’s a meager list.

Dave, please use the blue "#poll" button in my original message to respond to this poll so the results can be tabulated.  I will share the results (numbers only, no names) on this listserve on a weekly basis.

Kasey, time of day is not important.  I am just soliciting one list per day.

THANKS!

Sorry Jim:  I am not going to fuss with it.  Your #vote will no let me vote.  I do not have password & I tried I google wil not accept my password.  I tried 6 times. I quit.  Dave

On Mar 24, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:

Dave, please use the blue "#poll" button in my original message to respond to this poll so the results can be tabulated.  I will share the results (numbers only, no names) on this listserve on a weekly basis.

Kasey, time of day is not important.  I am just soliciting one list per day.

THANKS!

Dale Smith

Hi Jim,

You’re ‘killing two birds with one stone’ with this idea! Relieve boredom and get in the habit of reporting your sightings.

This self-isolation has slowed my eBird submissions, but I did put at least one per day in while we were in Florida. I also relied heavily on eBird reports to find the birds that I was after. My weekly FeederWatch counts were slim this winter as were many others here in the East.

Stay well...Dale

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:40 PM, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Some of you are already doing this, but here's a poll for SJBird members.

1)  Do you live in San Joaquin Co?

2)  Do you watch the birds in your yard?

3)  Would you be willing to submit a daily eBird list for your yard during the current coronavirus "emergency"?

Thank you all in advance!

1. 1. Yes, I live in San Joaquin Co.
2. 1.. No, I live outside San Joaquin Co.
3. 2. Yes, I watch the birds in my yard.
4. 2. No, I don't watch the birds in my yard.
5. 3. Yes, I'd be willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds. (Contact rowoth@... if you need help.)
6. 3. No, I am not willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds.

Vote Now

Ralph

As you know, I live outside the county, not far outside, but outside just the same. I watch the birds in my yard, too, and occasionally submit yard lists to ebird. I will try to be more diligent about submitting lists daily, it should probably be easy as it is usually the same list, just with different numbers of individuals.

Happy birding, stay safe, stay sane and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, (just over the county line) Riverbank

England

Jim,

Yes, I responded.  I don't actively bird the yard/neighborhood, but when I see something besides finches, junkos and mourning doves, I often do register them on eBird.   However, being a bit anal already and having a daily to-do list of six things, I'm not willing to commit to doing this on a guaranteed basis.

I flake, as usual.

Alan

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 01:40:52 PM PDT, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Some of you are already doing this, but here's a poll for SJBird members.

1)  Do you live in San Joaquin Co?

2)  Do you watch the birds in your yard?

3)  Would you be willing to submit a daily eBird list for your yard during the current coronavirus "emergency"?

Thank you all in advance!

1. 1. Yes, I live in San Joaquin Co.
2. 1.. No, I live outside San Joaquin Co.
3. 2. Yes, I watch the birds in my yard.
4. 2. No, I don't watch the birds in my yard.
5. 3. Yes, I'd be willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds. (Contact rowoth@... if you need help.)
6. 3. No, I am not willing to submit a daily eBird list for my yard birds.

Vote Now

Alan England, Stockton

Pat Croft

To Dale Smith.  Do you do project feeder watch for Cornell?   I do every weekend.  Feeder watch has been slim to a bonanza in the west.  Dave Croft

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:18 PM, England via Groups.Io <wdchkgsqrl@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

Yes, I participate in FeederWatch. My count days are Wednesday and Thursday. There have been weeks this winter when I had zero birds.

So far today, we have had 2 Mourning Doves, 2 Blue Jays, 3 Starlings and one each of Common Grackle and Red-wing Blackbird. Slim pickings!

Stay well...Dale

On Mar 25, 2020, at 10:02 AM, Pat Croft <Patndavid@...> wrote:

[...]

Dale:  My last weekend count I had 13 species which included purple finches, house finches, lesser & american gold finches, fox, lincoln, white-crowned & golden-crowned sparrows.  Plus one pair each mourning & eurasian collard dove & so on. Dave

On Mar 25, 2020, at 7:27 AM, Dale Smith via Groups.Io <doc0013@...> wrote:

[...]

I am about to enter my daily list for the yard and would like to suggest using #YARDBIRDING for future ebird reports. That way everyone will see that our lists are a result of Jim's poll. I don't usually use hashtags but this seems appropriate.

It was slow in the yard this morning, with only 2 Mourning Doves, 3 White-crowned Sparrows, 4 House Finches,1 Lesser Goldfinch and 1 American Goldfinch. All see through the kitchen window while I was washing last night's dinner dishes before going to work.

And as always,
Happy Birding, stay safe, stay sane and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, Riverbank