Woodbridge Road Solitary Sandpiper (SOSA)? Not this time

Ralph

I went up this afternoon to have a look-see, SOSA would be a county bird. I parked across from the east end of the flooded field and walked west. As I was getting out of the car an AMERICAN BITTERN flew over the marsh south of the road and dropped down into the reeds. The number of LESSER YELLOWLEGS (LEYE) in the flooded field made looking for the SOSA a little difficult, every time I got on a bird that was a good candidate for SOSA it turned out to be a LEYE. I entered nine LEYE on my ebird list, but there were probably more. I ran into Jim Rowoth while I was out there, too, and pointed out a WILLET that had appeared from somewhere after my first pass of the flooded field. The WILLET must have gone back to wherever it came from shortly thereafter, though, because I did not see it again after Jim left. I also checked the swallow flock on the power lines west of the flooded field, looking for Bank Swallow. Jim had gone down there and told me on his way back that he had seen a couple possibles, which I had not seen the first time I checked them out, but when I went back many of the swallows had flushed due to a fly-by kestrel and I found no likely suspects. I also did not see any Short-billed Dowitchers, but I did see several Wilson's Phalaropes.

I have the day off Wednesday and was thinking about going back but then I saw Jim Lomax's post on County Birders about the Red-eyed Vireo at Joseph D Grant County Park in Santa Clara County and that would be a lifer so i may go there instead.

AS always, happy birding, stay safe, stay SANE and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, Riverbank