Topics

Woodbridge Rd, Tuesday afternoon

Jim Rowoth

I spent a profitable couple of hours out on Woodbridge Rd this afternoon.  Of course, it was warm & sunny, and dusty & dry, but the birding was good.

Highlights were at Isenberg, where I was able to pull out several FIRST OF SEASON ducks for me:  a male Ring-necked Duck, a male Eurasian Wigeon, and 3 male & 1 female Redhead.  I was able to get a few photos of the wigeon, but not of the other ducks.  There are hundreds and hundreds of ducks out there!  In addition, there were large numbers of Aleutian Cackling Geese and I noticed a few cacklers that were somewhat larger, lacked neck rings, and had paler breasts—Taverner’s subspecies?  Unfortunately, since these geese were to my west (into the sun), I was unable to photos of them.

Looking northward over the North Preserve, there were thousands of birds in the air, presumably Cacklers, but there were at least 5 white birds mixed in, most likely Snow Geese.

On another note, I had a late Western Kingbird out there this past Sunday.

It’s so nice to have breathable air!!