White Slough Wildlife Area

Jim Rowoth

I visited White Slough Wildlife Area yesterday afternoon for the first time this year.  The dirt entry road was gated by the state Dept of Water Resources, which has jurisdiction over this area, last summer, so I parked at the N end of the frontage road next to the yellow gate and walked 1/2 mile west to the N end of Pond 9.  This dirt road remains a disaster—deeply rutted and riddled with deep potholes, festooned along most of its length with an appalling amount of litter/garbage.  I’ve attached some photos.

I only birded the N end of the first pond (Pond 9), so I did not visit Cottonwood Alley (S end); eBird report can be viewed at https://ebird.org/checklist/S79666271.  I clearly need to go back and spend more time.