Update on BLACK TERN

Ralph

While I was trying to get a photo of the tern a flock of Barn Swallows, some 35, arrived and a few of them took turns (no pun intended) at chasing the tern. The tern began gaining altitude and circled briefly at about 50-60 feet, then headed west. I lost sight of it and did not see it again. It may still be around, though.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank

Ralph

I forgot to mention that while I was birding the ponds at the west end I saw a bird, about the same size as a Greater Yellowlegs (GRYE), of which there were many, but this bird appeared to have a much shorter bill. I was looking at it from roughly 750 feet away so it could have been the angle and when I moved to get closer it and all the birds around it flew and I never saw anything like it again. So if anyone is going out to look for the Black Tern tomorrow keep a look-out for a GRYE-sized bird with a short bill.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank