Swainson 's Hawk ID confirmation

Sylvia Ahn

In Tracy around Holly and 21st there are 2 raptors. I am volunteering at Tracy Adventist Elementary School on 21st 10-1 four days a week mostly supervising outdoor student activities. The children noticed the hawks calling and flying around and pairing up x2  on the light in the church parking lot. I wanted to identify the birds for the students.  I believe a similar pair raised 2 offspring in this area last year.  I can't make them into anything else but dark bellied Swainson's Hawks. Do they nest in neighborhoods? If anyone else sees them, I would appreciate confirmation or correction.  Thanks  Sylvia Ahn

Jim Rowoth

Hey Sylvia,

I can't comment on your specific birds, but take a look at the eBird map of reports for Swainson's Hawk in the Tracy area--https://ebird.org/map/swahaw?bmo=3&emo=5&byr=2012&eyr=2021&env.minX=-121.588&env.minY=37.482&env.maxX=-120.916&env.maxY=38.301&gp=true. (Red pins are within the last 30 days; blue pins are older reports.)  Click on the pin for links to the individual reports.

I see no reason why your birds would not be Swainson's!