Stockton rookery

Jim Rowoth

David’s earlier report regarding the rookery that Nan B. had identified a couple of weeks ago prompted me to get myself down there to see for myself.  (My eBird reports are attached below.)  As I was southbound on Pershing, stopped at the red light at Rosemary, I saw white birds peeking from the foliage just east of this intersection, so I turned onto Rosemary and parked at one of the business parking lots on the north side.  The rookery, located in a paperbark tree (?), was quite active, and it consists mainly of Snowy Egrets, but several Cattle Egrets were evident and a few Black-crowned Night-Herons.

I assumed this was the extent of it, but a friendly delivery driver saw my camera and stopped to talk birds with me.  He’s been watching this rookery for a while, and he said there was another rookery just around the corner on Pershing itself.  I thanked him, and I drove the short distance and immediately saw this much larger rookery.  I parked in the Hacienda Plaza parking lot (posted customers only, but there were plenty of spaces) and observed from there.  Interestingly, nearly all the birds in this pine tree were Snowy Egrets, joined by only a couple of Black-crowned Night-Herons, but no Cattle Egrets.

This is an easily accessible rookery, so if you haven’t seen one before, go for it.  Just be cautious since there is a lot of traffic and your binoculars and cameras will attract attention.

Rosemary Ln,  just east of Pershing Ave, San Joaquin, California, US
Jul 1, 2021 1:38 PM - 1:48 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     This must be a spillover rookery from the larger one on Pershing Avenue.  Lots of nests are obscured in the leaves, so difficult to determine numbers.  This rookery is in a maleleuca/paperbark tree, while the larger rookery is in a pine tree.
3 species

Snowy Egret  25
Cattle Egret  7
Black-crowned Night-Heron  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S91084816
4305 N Pershing Ave, Stockton US-CA (37.9850,-121.3203), San Joaquin, California, US
Jul 1, 2021 1:52 PM - 2:11 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Large, active rookery in large, leaning pine tree next to apartment building.  Interestingly, I didn't see any Cattle Egrets at this site--perhaps they don't like pine trees?  I viewed from the large Hacienda Plaza parking lot across the street.
3 species

Snowy Egret  100     Adults and immatures
Black-crowned Night-Heron  3
European Starling  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S91093497