Topics

[StanislausBirds] Broad-winged Hawk in SJ and STA

Pat Paternostro

From: main@StanislausBirds.groups.io <main@StanislausBirds.groups.io> on behalf of Jimmy Gain <jimgain@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 9:47:09 AM
To: Stanislaus Birds <StanislausBirds@groups.io>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] Broad-winged Hawk in SJ and STA

I had a Broad-winged Hawk in Ripon just now at the trail at Riverview Circle.I was at the top of the trail looking south. My initial impression was that it was a Cooper’s hawk and I wanted to photograph it. A S soon as I got on it with my camera I could see that it was clearly not a Cooper’s hawk. I watched it fly from the Stanislaus River around and then over my head and then over to Riverview Court and then it circled and went back south and flew back into Stanislaus county.

Can someone share with SJ Birds please.

Jim Gain

Jimmy Gain

Follow-up

I had a Broad-winged Hawk in Stanislaus and San Joaquin Counties this morning near Ripon. I was finishing up a survey of the Mohler Tract portion of the San Joaquin River NWR and as I looked to the south (without bins) I spotted what I initially guessed to be a female Cooper's Hawk and pulled my camera up quickly to photograph. I immediately know I was very wrong and started taking shots like crazy (over 120). The bird moved gradually northward, low over the trees making lazy circles. It continued make slow circles moving slowly northward until it was directly over Riverview Cir. It slowly gained elevation but then did a direct flight (no longer making circles) back southward. I followed it until it was way past the river into Stanislaus County, where it dipped below the horizon and disappeared.

https://jimgain.smugmug.com/San-Joaquin-County-Broad-winged-Hawk

Jim Gain

Modesto