Sandman Park today

Kurt Mize

All:

I thought I’d try something different today, so I spent some time birding this seldom-birded park in North Stockton this morning. The best habitat (Valley Oak riparian) is along the Mosher Slough levee, which forms the southern border of the park. The trees at the eastern end of the park were also good. The levee is walkable for 3/4 of a mile, from Don Ave. to the footbridge at Bainbridge Pl., and the habitat gets better the further west you go. I had nothing unexpected, but a total of five Red-breasted Nuthatches was notable. Because of the east-west orientation of the riparian corridor, I would expect it to be good in spring migration. This park also needs to be marked for inclusion in the Stockton CBC. A homeless couple, one in a wheelchair, were apparently recently located to a home beneath the bleachers at the south end of the sports field, but they ignored me and I ignored them.

Good birding,

Kurt

Judy Kane

I walk my dog(s) every morning along the south levee of Mosher Slough as we back up to the creek. It is good in migration and I never know what will show up. This past week we have had a white-tailed kite.  Other critters lately have been a coyote just before Christmas running towards us! We ducked back inside our gate and let it run past! The biggest would be the California sea lion on Feb. 13! It was headed east but turned around by the park and was last seen going under the footbridge at Bainbridge. It made quite a wake! A week ago I had a male rufous hummer in my yard.  We have had a white-throated sparrow all winter, too.

I guess we have more time these days to appreciate the beautiful birds and wildlife that are so close to us.  Praying everyone stays healthy.

Judy

--
M. Judith Kane
209-639-1951

Pat Croft

We live in Lodi, near lower salt and elm and saw a rufous hummer also. It only came to our feeder twice, in one day, and we never saw it again. At least we can watch birds, from our house, as Dave is so fistidious about keeping up his bird feeders.
Keep in touch.
Pat & Dave Croft

Kurt Mize

I had a kite yesterday as well, but no Rufous Hummer. That’s amazing that a sea lion would come up in there!