Rock Wren at Bear Creek Bike Trail

Susan Schneider

Nan Ballot spotted a wren foraging on the ground in one of the dog enclosures, right next to the fence adjoining the levee trail.  We got excellent looks at what proved to be a juvenile Rock Wren, "bouncing" or "dipping" as they do.  This bird had a white breast and buffy flanks, and an eyeline much fainter than a Bewick's.   This location is close to the concrete infrastructure for the water discharge into the creek - somewhat reminiscent of the Rock Wren location at the Mokelumne River fish hatchery.  This is the first sighting I'm aware of for the bike trail.

Other highlights included Sandhill Cranes, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Hermit Thrush, American Pipit, and a huge flock of Starlings - we estimated 1000.  We found over 40 species.

Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com

It's not too late.