Ripon Oak Grove & sewage ponds

Susan Schneider <susanschneider7@...>

Migrants and newly arriving summer residents continue to be much in evidence, although my warbler diversity was way down from last weekend.  A non-bird highlight - I was nearby as a River Otter captured a very large salmon-like fish.  It must have been at least 1.5 lbs, and the otter could barely hold it.

OK, bird highlights:  I looked up often enough to get nice views of a White-throated Swift.  A Yellow-breasted Chat was  present again, but this time just gave me a call and a short snatch of song.  I found two Swainson's Thrushes, one of which sang for me - so beautiful.  Wilson's Warblers were plentiful, but my only other warbler species was Yellow.  Still, songbirds included at least 4 W Wood-Pewees, Ash-throated FC, W Kingbird, Warbling Vireo, Bullock's Oriole, W Tanager, Black-headed Grosbeak, and a late Red-breasted Nuthatch.

At the sewage ponds west, I found many LB Dowitchers, with smaller #s of Western & Least Sandpipers, G Yellowlegs, and Stilts.

Very nice morning, and social distancing was less of an issue than last weekend - fewer people on the narrow trails.  Some of the trails are wide enough to be easily manageable.

Take care, and good birding,

Susan M. Schneider
Climate activist and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com

It's not too late.