Red-shouldered Hawks

Pat Paternostro

Birders
Today while on a dog walk at Peterson Park in Lodi, I enjoyed observing the resident RSHA's feeding.  They would fly from a low perch on a tree, down to the ground, then back up on a limb.  I thought they were catching mice, but a closer look showed they were eating earthworms.
Little did I know they had this in common with the Curlew's and Robins also feeding at the park.
Enjoy the first day of Spring on Sunday.
Pat

Kurt Mize

I’ve observed them foraging for earthworms in the grass at Laughlin Park in Stockton, as well. Usually before sunup, when no one’s around.

On Friday, March 18, 2022, 10:55 AM, Pat Paternostro <BRONCOS30@...> wrote:

Birders
Today while on a dog walk at Peterson Park in Lodi, I enjoyed observing the resident RSHA's feeding.  They would fly from a low perch on a tree, down to the ground, then back up on a limb.  I thought they were catching mice, but a closer look showed they were eating earthworms.
Little did I know they had this in common with the Curlew's and Robins also feeding at the park.
Enjoy the first day of Spring on Sunday.
Pat

Amy Carter

I have observed Red-shouldered hawks eat earth worms  on several occasions. Once when I was in Micke Grove park when I worked at the zoo, right after the rain. And once when I taught fourth graders at the Stem school and a student noticed it out the window. So we set up the scope and watched it feed.

Amy Weiser

On Mar 19, 2022, at 8:08 AM, Kurt Mize via groups.io <k1mize@...> wrote:

 I’ve observed them foraging for earthworms in the grass at Laughlin Park in Stockton, as well. Usually before sunup, when no one’s around.

Kurt

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Friday, March 18, 2022, 10:55 AM, Pat Paternostro <BRONCOS30@...> wrote:

Birders
Today while on a dog walk at Peterson Park in Lodi, I enjoyed observing the resident RSHA's feeding.  They would fly from a low perch on a tree, down to the ground, then back up on a limb.  I thought they were catching mice, but a closer look showed they were eating earthworms.
Little did I know they had this in common with the Curlew's and Robins also feeding at the park.
Enjoy the first day of Spring on Sunday.
Pat

John Harris

I haven't seen them eating earthworms, but they often forage on recently flooded pastures in our neighborhood. I've seen them catch bullfrogs and once a bullfrog tadpole!
John Harris
east of Oakdale