Pine Siskin

Pat Paternostro

Folks
I currently have 8 Pine Siskin at my feeders, moving through the neighborhood with AMGO and juncoes.  (I live in Lodi, a few blocks from Lodi Lake).
Keep your eyes on your yards.  Image.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpeg
Pat

Jim Rowoth

I don’t have any bird feeders at my home in North Stockton, and I haven’t seen any siskins in my birdbath.  But there are several Chinese pistache and liquidambar trees in the neighborhood, so I hear and see them in the trees.  A lot more Purple Finches than in years past—they even outnumber the House Finches on some days.

Jim Rowoth

On Dec 22, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Pat Paternostro <broncos30@...> wrote:

Folks
I currently have 8 Pine Siskin at my feeders, moving through the neighborhood with AMGO and juncoes.  (I live in Lodi, a few blocks from Lodi Lake).
Keep your eyes on your yards.  <Image.jpeg><Image.jpeg><Image.jpeg>
Pat

Steve Imialek

Happy Holidays from Brentwood!

We’re also finding puffed up pine siskins that are slow to move indicating salmonella. It’s also been reported in many other areas. Please remember to clean your feeders. I also brought in my tray feeder for now.

Looking forward to more SJAS walks with you all in 2021 (after we’ve been vaccinated).
Best,
Steve

On Dec 22, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Andrew Rodriguez

We had 20 or 30 siskins at our feeders two days ago and it seemed strange that they didn’t take off when we went out into the yard. We were able to get quite close to them - I take it that’s a bad sign.
And we were wondering - where are the house finches? We have plenty of lesser Goldfiniches but very few house finches.
Terri Works, Jackson

--
Terri Works
Jackson, CA

jimallan927@...

I have had about a dozen of them hanging around my feeding station for the last three days, mixing with House Finches and Crown Sparrows, also a couple of Fox Sparrows. They seem healthy, hungry and active. They (siskins) notably did not fly away when my resident Nuthatch visited as all the other birds do.  Also there were a great number and variety of birds at the Cosumnes Preserve yesterday morning, including a Loggerhead Shrike on the boardwalk trail that was very personable.

Pat Paternostro

Terri
The Pine Siskin I had behaved quite like yours, not very skittish.  Mine also appeared healthy.
I am not an expert on bird behavior/health, but I do know that birds which aren’t use to seeing humans can be very approachable.  (I noticed this while living in Pennsylvania.  We would have years were Siskin and Redpolls visited our feeders, the acted in the same manner).
I hope it has nothing to do with their overall health.
Pat