Pied blackbird on Woodbridge Rd

Jim Rowoth

I found an aberrant plumaged Red-winged Blackbird on Woodbridge Rd this afternoon. This partial albino/leucistic looks almost like a Pied Water-Tyrant, found in northern South America. However, since this is not South America and the bird was clearly associating with, acting like, and sounding like a Red-winged Blackbird, I’m confident in my ID. If anyone wants to look for it, it was in/around the ditch along the N side of the road, almost directly across from the bright red plastic trash can by the black chain link fence and pull-off area at the E end of the Black Hole property. Nothing of great import, just a neat looking bird!

Hey Jim,

Rich and I had that same (or strangely similar) Red-winged Blackbird last year on March 28th in exactly the same place you described.  David Yee suggested it was probably a female Red-winged Blackbird due to the faint wing bars.

Here are my photos from last year.
Inline imageInline image

I found an aberrant plumaged Red-winged Blackbird on Woodbridge Rd this afternoon.  This partial albino/leucistic looks almost like a Pied Water-Tyrant, found in northern South America.  However, since this is not South America and the bird was clearly associating with, acting like, and sounding like a Red-winged Blackbird, I’m confident in my ID.  If anyone wants to look for it, it was in/around the ditch along the N side of the road, almost directly across from the bright red plastic trash can by the black chain link fence and pull-off area at the E end of the Black Hole property.  Nothing of great import, just a neat looking bird!

John Harris

That's cool! Back when I worked at Mills College in Oakland, we had a white-headed Robin that showed up for three consecutive years.
John Harris
Oakdale