Oak Grove-Ripon river trail blocked

Susan Schneider <susanschneider7@...>

I was surprised to find the narrow river trail blocked by fallen vegetation, not far from the eastern junction with the main trail.  I tried to find a good route around with no success.  Using a different connector trail, I worked back to the blockage from the main trail and again, there didn't seem to be a good workaround (yet).

Birding was pleasant, though, with over 40 species.  Highlights included multiple singing Western Wood-Pewees, Ash-throated Flycatchers, Bullock's Orioles, Western Tanagers, and Black-headed Grosbeaks.  I was able to see all of these except for the pewees.  Fence Lizards were much in evidence.

This was the first time in a while that no Lawrence's Goldfinches cooperatively showed themselves near the irrigation puddles by the parking lot.

Good birding,
Susan
Stockton
--
Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com - includes climate info

“The impact of human-induced warming is worse than previously feared, and only drastic coordinated action will keep the damage short of catastrophe.”
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, October 2018 report (authored by 91 scientists from 40 countries, based on over 6,000 scientific references)
It's not too late.

k foley

Yes, we found the same blockage but because it had been so long since we birded there we thought it was the new normal. I suspect the Mulberry trees still had fruit on them to get those nice, colorful birds:)

On Sunday, June 6, 2021, 10:21:01 AM PDT, Susan Schneider <susanschneider7@...> wrote:

I was surprised to find the narrow river trail blocked by fallen vegetation, not far from the eastern junction with the main trail.  I tried to find a good route around with no success.  Using a different connector trail, I worked back to the blockage from the main trail and again, there didn't seem to be a good workaround (yet).

Birding was pleasant, though, with over 40 species.  Highlights included multiple singing Western Wood-Pewees, Ash-throated Flycatchers, Bullock's Orioles, Western Tanagers, and Black-headed Grosbeaks.  I was able to see all of these except for the pewees.  Fence Lizards were much in evidence.

This was the first time in a while that no Lawrence's Goldfinches cooperatively showed themselves near the irrigation puddles by the parking lot.

Good birding,
Susan
Stockton
--
Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com - includes climate info

“The impact of human-induced warming is worse than previously feared, and only drastic coordinated action will keep the damage short of catastrophe.”
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, October 2018 report (authored by 91 scientists from 40 countries, based on over 6,000 scientific references)
It's not too late.

--
Kasey Foley
Stockton, CA