Oak Grove/Ripon plus "heads up" San Joaquin

Jim Rowoth

All,

I ended up at Oak Grove/Ripon this morning.  Lots of activity, but very little warbler action detected.

Note: Following up on notices from John Sterling, Dan Singer, and Cliff Hawley, SJ Co birders should also be aware that May is apparently turning into an unusually good month for southeastern vagrant songbirds (esp. Kentucky and Hooded Warblers) in the Southwest and Bay Area, so be on the lookout and pay attention to any unfamiliar songs that you hear.  Of course, photos and audio recordings would be great!

Believe me, I had that in mind when I was rambling around Ripon this morning!

Anyway, here’s my eBird report.  I didn’t visit any other locations.

Oak Grove Park (Ripon), San Joaquin, California, US
May 13, 2020 7:48 AM - 10:59 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.13 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     The mulberry trees along the river are covered in fruit in all stages of ripeness, attracting large numbers of frugivores.  In some places, the ground was covered with fallen fruits.
41 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  1
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)  5
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  5
White-throated Swift (Aeronautes saxatalis)  1
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)  2
American Coot (Fulica americana)  1    @ dog food plant pond
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  1     Heard only
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)  1
Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus)  17
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  1     Heard only
Nuttall's Woodpecker (Dryobates nuttallii)  6
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  4
Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus)  6
Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens)  2
Western Kingbird (Tyrannus verticalis)  4
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  2
Oak Titmouse (Baeolophus inornatus)  5     Heard only
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  5
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  26
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  1
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus)  11
White-breasted Nuthatch (Pacific) (Sitta carolinensis aculeata/alexandrae)  10
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  29  Singing gleefully.
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  28
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  11     A whole lotta chuppin’ goin’ on!  At times, they seemed to be everywhere esp. next to the river.  Some softly singing their unmistakable etherial song.  I never got a good look at any, however.
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  86     Gorging on mulberries and cottonwood fruits. Good thing I was wearing a cap--got pooped on at least once.  This is probably an undercount.
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  8
Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria)  14
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
California Towhee (Melozone crissalis)  3
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)  12
Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii)  7
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  8
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1     Heard only
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  2
Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana)  8  Singing vigorously.
Black-headed Grosbeak (Pheucticus melanocephalus)  16  Singing lustily.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S68985815