MISSED JOHN STERLING’S 3/9 PROGRAM? Here’s the recording.

England

John Sterling's presentation link is up in our site.

http://www.sanjoaquinaudubon.org/

Click on 'Chapter Programs'

Click on 'Presentation Recording Link"

Topic: Changes in Bird Distribution and Population in the Central Valley over the last 80 Years:  John Sterling  (March 9 Recording)

Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87270335437...

John discussed changes in our knowledge of bird distribution and population in the Central Valley since the publication of Grinnell and Miller’s book on California birds in the 1940s. Loss of habitats, creation of new habitats, reduction of ranges, invasions of new species and other topics will be explored as we reconcile the fact that more species are detected now than prior to the book’s publication.

John has been a hard core birder in California since he was shown a Pileated Woodpecker in 5th grade camp in 1971.  He is a professional ornithologist and has worked for the Smithsonian Institution, US Forest Service research stations, HT Harvey & Associates, Arizona and Oregon state universities among other organizations since 1981.  John has traveled extensively throughout California learning about local bird distribution and is an authority on that state’s avifauna. In 2015 he set the California’s new big year record with 501 species and has many big day records as well. He has traveled internationally as a guide and ornithologist for many institutions including projects as a Smithsonian ornithologist to Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, The Philippines, Sumatra, Canada and Russia. John currently has his own company, Sterling Wildlife Biology (www.sterlingbirds.com),  specializing in international birding tours, birding classes, research and environmental consulting for The Nature Conservancy, National Audubon’s International Alliance Program, CA Dept. of Water Resources among other organizations.

--
Alan England, Stockton