Loon and trespassing--PLEASE READ

Jim Rowoth

Birders—both resident and visiting:

I shouldn’t have to do this, but I am continuing to see reports that show clear evidence of TRESPASSING.  Please don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg!

The ONLY area of Bouldin Island that is available to birding is the Highway 12 corridor—and as you know, that high traffic road is dangerous and stopping anywhere is not advised.  Any and all roads leading off the highway are private property (whether signed or not) and are absolutely, positively off-limits to the general public—and that means us, the birdwatching community.

The ONLY area of Staten Island that is available to birding is Staten Island Road as far south as the equipment shed and collapsing water tower on the west side of the road.   There is a sign there that clearly states that public access ends there.  The road further south and all levees are absolutely, positively off-limits to the general public—and that means us, the birdwatching community.

Westgate Landing County Park is open to the public (day use fee) and allows access to the levee at the park.  Where the actual property boundary lies is not clear to me, however.

Access directly under the Tower Park bridge is fuzzy, but if you choose this site, I again recommend that you make it a brief visit (get the bird and go), and that you not turn it into a party—the fewer visitors at a time the better.  Too bad if you can’t get a “gallery quality” photo. C’est la vie.

As David Yee stated in his post on 01/17/21, good relations with property owners/management at Bouldin Island and Staten Island are essential for continued access by San Joaquin Audubon for our annual Christmas Bird Count and other bird surveys.  Please don’t spoil this for our local birding community!