Topics

Laughlin Park Empid

Jimmy Gain

After birding Lodi lake with Jim Rowoth, I stopped by Laughlin Park for a 45 minute quasi-quick birding stop. I had a Pacific-slope Flycatcher (visual and calling), A Nashville Warbler (maybe two), a Black-throated Gray, Yellow and Wilson’s Warbler. I also had a silent empid flycatcher that was well seen for about 8 minutes. Bill was smallish and all dark. It gave only occasional tail flicks. My only hesitation in calling it a Hammond's Flycatcher is that the primary projection doesn't look remarkable. Anyone to weigh in on one photo of the empid?

Jim Gain

Modesto

David Yee

Hi Jim:

The bill shape/color, eyering shape, crested look, big headed and short-tailed appearance all look good for Hammond's to me.  Hard to judge the primary projection based on photo.

Good Birding,
David Yee
Stockton

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 1:50 PM Jimmy Gain <jimgain@...> wrote:

After birding Lodi lake with Jim Rowoth, I stopped by Laughlin Park for a 45 minute quasi-quick birding stop. I had a Pacific-slope Flycatcher (visual and calling), A Nashville Warbler (maybe two), a Black-throated Gray, Yellow and Wilson’s Warbler. I also had a silent empid flycatcher that was well seen for about 8 minutes. Bill was smallish and all dark. It gave only occasional tail flicks. My only hesitation in calling it a Hammond's Flycatcher is that the primary projection doesn't look remarkable. Anyone to weigh in on one photo of the empid?

Jim Gain

Modesto

Kurt Mize

I think it’s just the angle of the photo. This looks like the bird Dave Quaddy and I called a Hammonds. The upperparts were gray (as opposed to the olive of the Pac Slope), with none of the yellowish wash on the underparts that the Pac Slope had.

Kurt
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail