F Surf Scoter continues at Lodi WTP

Jim Rowoth

I dropped by to see if anything of interest was blown in by today’s winds.  The female Surf Scoter found by David Yee on 26 October continues in the NW pond (closest to birder parking area).  It was loosely associating with Northern Shovelers.  I saw one female scaup in the SW pond; it appeared to have a peaked shape to its head, so I am assuming it is the Lesser that others have reported here.  No trace of any other scaups, but I was only there about 1/2 hour and only walked around the NW pond.

Ponds that are near full—NW, NE, SW.  The SE pond is choked with weeds, with scattered puddling.