Egret/Heron Rookery on Pershing Ave

David Yee

Birders,

This is a follow-up to the note Nan Ballot mentioned a while back regarding the rookery tree on Pershing Ave in Stockton between Rosemary and Brookside. The tree has held about 20 -25 nests, mostly Snowy Egrets. There were also smaller numbers of Black-crowned Night-Heron and Cattle Egrets nesting. This may be the first confirmed nesting of Cattle Egret nesting in SJ, though probably nesting in the county for decades. With nearly full grown young and adults, the tree currently holds 100+ birds.  It's quite the sight on one of the busier streets in Stockton.

I've been getting lots of communications from folks about the rookery the past month. Whenever I'm there people are getting out of their cars to take pics. So it was just a matter of time before the news contacted me. I tried to pawn KCRA off to President Donna M or eBird expert Jim R, but to no avail. This morning they did an interview with me at the site. It may or may not make it onto live TV. If it does I hope they just show the birds and not me. I tried to play up SJ Audubon, but who knows if it gets in. I'm notorious for blabbing too much when talking about birds during an interview, so if I said something not factual or out of context, I apologize. Just wanted to get this out to birders before hearing about it first on the news.

Egrets and herons have been nesting in trees in that neighborhood for up to 20 years in trees just to the east. However, many of those trees were cut down last year in attempts to move them on.  They moved into the big pine tree on Pershing and into some trees on Rosemary. Most of the locals I've talked to appreciate them. But I'm sure there are some who don't. The balancing act between protecting rookeries in urban settings has become a big thing in recent years across the nation, but perhaps the biggest news was of the nesting Black-crowned Night-Herons in downtown Oakland. It became a leading conservation issue for Golden Gate Audubon, and was championed by many primary schools in the Bay Area. We may have to follow suit to some degree some day.

Good Birding,
David Yee
Stockton

Susan Schneider <susanschneider7@...>

Thanks, David, for taking this on!  Great news about the interview.

-Susan
Stockton

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM David Yee <birdmanyee@...> wrote:
[...]

Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com - includes my annotated list of climate book recommendations

We are running out of time!

k foley

David,

You gave a wonderful interview about the egret rookery on Pershing Avenue in Stockton to Channel 3. If anyone missed it and would like to see it you can find it at this link ‘I’m kind of awed’: Egrets nests spotted in the middle of Stockton (thanks for the link, Pat P!)

Kasey