Bear Creek Bike Trail/Faklis Park - a little excitement on a cold day

Susan Schneider

Despite the frosty weather (31 degrees when I hit the trail), some birds were singing!  I started out with 4 White Pelicans on the creek down towards the Paradise Point marina.  One vee of Snow Geese flew over, and either Cacklings or Greater White-fronted were further away, never close enough for me to be sure.  A few Sandhill Cranes were visible. 

As the sun warmed up, Song Sparrows began singing, and I was pleased to spot a Bewick's Wren singing also - first time this year.  That one got another one countersinging a short distance away, and the second also hopped up into view.  Eventually one Marsh Wren sang briefly.  That was exciting, but more was to come: As I hiked alongside Faklis Park, a bird suddenly plunge-dived into the water with a big splash, only 60 feet away - coming seemingly from out of nowhere.  I had heard a Kingfisher previously, and expected that bird to emerge, but this diver proved instead to be the local Osprey, emerging without a fish.  It landed on one of the trees across the waterway, shaking its wings.

Other highlights included Purple Finch, American Pipit, Hermit Thrush, and Cooper's Hawk.

As I ended my hike, a flock of a dozen Common Goldeneye foraged well to the west, along toward Paradise Point where the pelicans had been earlier.  This is a large number for this hotspot. The Osprey also dove again, further off this time, again unsuccessfully. 

Good birding,
Susan

--
Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com

“The impact of human-induced warming is worse than previously feared, and only drastic coordinated action will keep the damage short of catastrophe.”
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, October 2018 report (authored by 91 scientists from 40 countries, based on over 6,000 scientific references)
It's not too late.

Kurt Mize

Nice birds and nice write-up, Susan!

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 11:36 AM, Susan Schneider <susanschneider7@...> wrote:

Despite the frosty weather (31 degrees when I hit the trail), some birds were singing!  I started out with 4 White Pelicans on the creek down towards the Paradise Point marina.  One vee of Snow Geese flew over, and either Cacklings or Greater White-fronted were further away, never close enough for me to be sure.  A few Sandhill Cranes were visible. 

As the sun warmed up, Song Sparrows began singing, and I was pleased to spot a Bewick's Wren singing also - first time this year.  That one got another one countersinging a short distance away, and the second also hopped up into view.  Eventually one Marsh Wren sang briefly.  That was exciting, but more was to come: As I hiked alongside Faklis Park, a bird suddenly plunge-dived into the water with a big splash, only 60 feet away - coming seemingly from out of nowhere.  I had heard a Kingfisher previously, and expected that bird to emerge, but this diver proved instead to be the local Osprey, emerging without a fish.  It landed on one of the trees across the waterway, shaking its wings.

Other highlights included Purple Finch, American Pipit, Hermit Thrush, and Cooper's Hawk.

As I ended my hike, a flock of a dozen Common Goldeneye foraged well to the west, along toward Paradise Point where the pelicans had been earlier.  This is a large number for this hotspot. The Osprey also dove again, further off this time, again unsuccessfully. 

Good birding,
Susan

--
Susan M. Schneider, PhD
Climate activist, behavioral psychologist, and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com

“The impact of human-induced warming is worse than previously feared, and only drastic coordinated action will keep the damage short of catastrophe.”
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, October 2018 report (authored by 91 scientists from 40 countries, based on over 6,000 scientific references)
It's not too late.