Calling all counters--Stockton CBC, Sun, Dec 15

Jim Rowoth

The Stockton CBC will be on Sun, Dec 15—two weeks from today.  I’m hoping we can catch a break in this stretch of actual winter weather on that date, but it’s certainly too far out to predict.

With that in mind, please let me know if you wish to participate in this, our longest running birding event here in San Joaquin Co, beginning in 1967.  Some of you may have already made arrangements with area leaders, but please let me know directly as well so I can have a clearer idea of how many counters we will be fielding that day.

In particular, I’d really like to hear from those of you who have not yet made arrangements to participate.  The date is fixed in advance so people can make plans, which means the count occurs irrespective of weather conditions (barring something truly cataclysmic), and generally runs from sun up to sun down.  If you can only participate for half a day, let me know so we can work something out.  Also, feeder watchers who reside within the count circle are also welcome to participate; let me know if you wish to do this since the instructions are a bit different.

I’m attaching a (poor) map of the count circle so you can see if you reside within its boundaries.  Essentially, it goes from Thornton at 12:00 on the circle down to the southern edge of Ringe Tract at 6:00, and from the middle of Bouldin Island (W of Tower Park marina) at 9:00 to Highway 99 & Kettleman in Lodi at 3:00.  Thus, most of Lodi is included, as are the outer fringes of Thornton and a good chunk of NW Stockton N of Swenson Park.

Amy Carter

Jim-

     Back in the Country. I have once again been drafted by David Fries to be part of his count team for the Stockton Bird Count.

Amy Weiser

On Dec 1, 2019, at 3:37 PM, Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:

[...]

<CBCmap.jpeg>

Merci!  I trust you had a great trip!
Jim

On Dec 1, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Amy Carter via Groups.Io <aec0922@...> wrote:

[...]

Judy Kane

Hi Jim,

I could be a feeder watcher, I'm on Mosher Slough and could count my yard and from Yarmouth east about a half mile on the south levee.

Let me know if that would help.

Judy Kane

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 3:37 PM Jim Rowoth <rowoth@...> wrote:
[...]

M. Judith Kane
209-639-1951

Ernie Maier

I will be glad to be involved. Thanks Jim. From Ernie Maier

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 12:26:31 PM PST, Judy Kane <judy.kane2949@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Judy,

We’d love to have you!  I’ll be getting back to you soon with more details on what feeder-watching entails.  I’m not exactly sure where on Mosher Slough you are—west of I-5, I think.  (Didn’t you have a Steller’s Jay several years ago?)

Thanks for getting in touch!

Jim

On Dec 4, 2019, at 12:23 PM, Judy Kane <judy.kane2949@...> wrote:

[...]

It’s been along time since I’ve been on one of the Christmas Bird Counts, yes I did have a Steller’s Jay! Good memory! I am right behind Wagner Holt Elementary school, East of I-5 so that gives me a good stretch to bird in if that’s in the count area. Maybe the Varied Thrush will be calling that day!

Judy