Louis Park, Stockton and Yellow-billed Magpies

Jim Rowoth

I paid a brief visit to Louis Park this morning. Nothing surprising, but it reminded me how reliable this site is for Yellow-billed Magpie, an oft-sought California endemic. There was one “vulturine” individual, lacking feathers on its neck and head. It is surprising to see just how scrawny birds can be under their feathers! (See photos on eBird list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S98884811).

Lots of leaves and some downed branches from the recent (welcome) rains, so the leaf blowers were out in force, and the boat landing there is closed for repairs, with noisy work going on during my visit. Lowlights were the many feral cats, along with feeding stations, as well as abundant quantity of trash.