MacGillivray's Warbler déjà vu

Jim Rowoth

All,

I had a first fall MacGillivray’s Warbler drop by my back yard and say “hi’ at 3:15 today. He didn’t stay very long, but I reacted fast enough to grab my binoculars and got excellent look at its eye ring broken at 3:00 and 9:00 on a grayish hood, with very yellow underparts fading into grayish hood. It perched in a low quince bush about 2 feet from my sliding screen door, just a few feet from my napping cats, who never noticed him. Unfortunately, my reaction time wasn’t fast enough to get a photo.

The strangest thing is, that several years ago, I was sitting in this same chair, without binoculars handy, when what I believe was the same species paid a brief visit to this same low bush, staying about as long as today’s bird. I never eBirded the first one because I couldn’t swear to its identity, but everything about it suggested either a MacGillivrays, Mourning, or Connecticut Warbler.

You just never know who’s going to show up at your door, especially during fall migration.