Ripon Sewage Ponds (West) this afternoon

Ralph

I birded the Ripon ponds this afternoon as part of the Stanislaus Audubon Society's "DIY Field Trip". The location and list of target birds, Black-necked Stilt, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Least and Western Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher and Black Phoebe, were picked by Jim Gain. I got five-out-of-seven. I missed Western Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs. But I had enough action in the trees, and overhead, to make up for the missed targets. I had my first of season (FOS) SANDHILL CRANES fly over, a group of four flew over headed south, a bit later a group of four flew over headed north, possibly the same group. I had one White-throated Swift flying with a bunch of Tree Swallows and kept looking for Vaux's Swift but never found one. And I encountered a decent array of migrants: I saw one Willow Flycatcher, my FOS Ruby-crowned Kinglet, many Cedar Waxwings, one Orange-crowned Warbler, two Yellow Warblers, two Yellow-rumped Warblers, one Black-throated Gray Warbler and a female HERMIT WARBLER. I also saw some White-crowned Sparrows, but they were not FOS, I got my FOS White-crowns in my backyard this morning.

If you'd like info on the DIY Field Trip just reply offlist and I'll get back to you.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank