Yellow bellied sapsucker

Rachel Lawrence

Refound yesterday by Rob Cullison continues in dead pine viewable east of dirt patch at end of dog park , Corona Heights. Likely same bird as in Buena Vista you can see the trees in Manor Park from here

Brian Fitch

I just spent some quality time with what's likely the former Manor House/Buena Vista sapsucker that I discovered in late 2020.  I walked up to Corona before 8, as both previous sightings were during that hour.  I hung out for a while in the dirt patch, which is accessed off of 15th, by a narrow walkway west of the tennis courts, then hiked up the very poorly executed trail that meanders up the steep hillside.  After more than an hour, I finally sat down on a log which is not far below the upper end of trail, where you have an excellent view of the mostly conifererous grove, and just after 9, the Yellow-bellied flew in from the west and landed in a cypress.  It did a little quiet pecking in this and a few other trees, including the big, dead, multi-branched pine, made several fly-catching sorties, and eventually dove down over the dirt patch and into the first yard west of the tennis courts.  A large fruit-bearing tree there has many sapsucker wells which can be seen from the dirt patch, but visibility was impossible from the hill, and I left around 9:15.  The bird was utterly silent, even as it pecked, flew, and snapped at flying insects.
Brian Fitch

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 8:09 AM Rachel Lawrence <Rachelalawrence@...> wrote:
Refound yesterday by Rob Cullison continues in dead pine viewable east of dirt patch at end of dog park , Corona Heights. Likely same bird as in Buena Vista you can see the trees in Manor Park from here

Chris Vance

Thanks Brian! Found the tree and the bird if only briefly. It was in the tree with red berries and it dropped below the top of the tan fence. A gardener is now in the yard trimming the tree with red berries.
Chris

On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:56 AM, Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

[...]

samhoyer78@...

Thanks Chris and Brian for those reports. Got good views of the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the yard just west of the Corona Heights park tennis courts (by 15th) in the tree with the red berries working the Sapsucker holes right above the fence.

Good birding,
Randy