Yellow bellied sapsucker Buena Vista Park

Rachel Lawrence

Just caught sight of Brian Fitch’s sapsucker from a week or two ago
It flew from NZ Christmas tree with sapsucker holes on south east side of BV to trees to the west of BV Manor House

Logan Kahle

Ad male Yb sap in same pittosporum where rudy described it here (37.7666613, -122.4408627) then quickly bolted nw around the corner.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt reports.

Logan

On Dec 11, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Rachel Lawrence <rachelalawrence@outlook.com> wrote:

Adam Winer

For what it's worth, attaching a few photos of this bird (I have more), showing the back and both sides of the head and the crown.  It's pretty clearly a first-year bird, with a lot of juvenile feathers still retained on the crown and no obvious black breast band.  That itself seems a pretty strong piece of evidence that this is Yellow-bellied, since as best I understand it a Red-naped should have long finished molting the head feathers by now?  The barring on the back is fairly extensive, with only a narrow black midline with some white feathering intruding even there.  And I see no red anywhere on the nape.

Other features:
- The black border to the throat looks fairly complete at the sides - I can't be sure if the few paler feathers I'm seeing in the black on the left side of the throat are just retained brown feathers from juvenile plumage or worrisome red feathers.
- There is a small white patch at the chin in one of these photos which is maybe a bit worrisome (female Red-naped can, I think, show that)

-- Adam Winer

Attached photos, all a bit under-exposed (full sized at https://photos.app.goo.gl/fcXfx8gkky9fJJJR8):

PC110102.jpgPC110048.jpgPC110033.jpg

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 4:07 PM Logan Kahle <logan@...> wrote:
Ad male Yb sap in same pittosporum where rudy described it here (37.7666613, -122.4408627) then quickly bolted nw around the corner.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt reports.

Logan
> On Dec 11, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Rachel Lawrence <rachelalawrence@...> wrote:

Brian Fitch

My wife and I just left the sapsucker a while ago at BV Park.  We heard the bird around 1 PM in the flowering gums along the park side of the street, but saw nothing until 20 minutes later when Ken Moy arrived, and as we greeted him the bird flew out of the Manor House trees and into the big oak that cantilevers over the park side sidewalk.  It then flew over the three benches and into cypress.  This is along Buena Vista Ave East.

I've searched for this bird several times since first finding it on 11/27, so was glad to finally get better though still brief views of it.  Thanks for refinding it Rachel.
Brian Fitch