Topics

Y-b Sapsucker

Brian Fitch

Around 11:30 this morning I found an apparent adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker along Buena  Vista Ave East.  My wife and I were walking on the south side boardwalk in BV Park when I saw a woodpecker fly from the trees in front of BV Manor House up into a cypress cluster at the neighboring condo complex.  The bird was distant and in deep shade, but appeared to have a pure red throat bordered by thick black, and no red intruding onto the nape or face, which had bold black and white stripes.  The large white wing patch was clearly visible, and the back had white barring.

We then walked down to the street for closer views, but could not refind the bird.  We checked the well-used sapsucker tree in the park across from Park Hill, but it was empty.
Brian Fitch