White-breasted Nuthatch in GGP

Aaron Maizlish

SF birders,

I followed up on an eBird report from this morning of a white-breasted nuthatch on Strawberry Hill at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park, complete with photos. After about 20 minutes of searching, was able to get fantastic Eye-level views of what appears to be a first year white-breasted nuthatch active in the dead pine snags on the north side of the hill, as described by Nancy Palmer in her eBird report. Viewed with Ken Moy and two birders from Santa Clara County. This is a surprisingly rare bird for San Francisco, and in the 12 years that I have been an active birder, its only the second sighting. No photos sorry - I tend not to carry my camera around in the park any more, unless I think a photo may be necessary for ID - but this one is a no-brainer. Also a few Hermit Warblers in with the PygNuts.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco

Nancy Palmer

Hi Aaron and all,
I was just writing this as your email came through! So glad that it stuck around and that you were able to see it!

Hi all,
This morning I had a White-breasted Nuthatch on Strawberry Hill at Stow Lake. I had to cut my outing short due to some family obligations but was able to get some photos and post to ebird here:

I have not been able to get back out but I just heard that it was seen again this afternoon at 4pm by Ken Moy and other birders.

Locations seen this morning on the Reservoir level of Strawberry Hill on the north slope up to peak:

Upslope from picnic table area -

East side of reservoir in pine -

Best,
Nancy Palmer
SF

On Aug 7, 2021, at 4:33 PM, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

[...]

Nico Stuurman

Continues same area. Seen for a minute or two with a group of birders from top of Strawberry Hill looking north.

Enjoy!

Nico