Where are the crows headed?

Kevin Shrieve

From my home on the south side of Mt. Davidson I sometimes see many crows (40+) flying to the northeast, usually late in the afternoon.

Is there a location in that direction where they settle in for the night?

William Grant

They used to fly to Rincon Annex on Mission near the Embarcadero.

I used to count 200 to 300+ there in the evening after dark

when attending Commenwealth Club meetings near there.

They like the trees and roofs.

I have not been there lately, but they are probably still roosting there or somewhere nearby.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Shrieve <kevin@...>
Sent: Nov 28, 2021 2:00 PM
To: <SFBirds@groups.io>
Subject: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?

From my home on the south side of Mt. Davidson I sometimes see many crows (40+) flying to the northeast, usually late in the afternoon.

Is there a location in that direction where they settle in for the night?

Hi Kevin,

In past falls/winters there’s been a night roost noted in an area near the foot of the Bay Bridge. My personal highest count of crows heading to that roost was 960 at the end of October several years ago. I’d be curious to hear if anyone can track that roost this year for the CBC.

Dominik