Where are the crows headed?

Kevin Shrieve

From my home on the south side of Mt. Davidson I sometimes see many crows (40+) flying to the northeast, usually late in the afternoon.

Is there a location in that direction where they settle in for the night?

William Grant

They used to fly to Rincon Annex on Mission near the Embarcadero.

I used to count 200 to 300+ there in the evening after dark

when attending Commenwealth Club meetings near there.

They like the trees and roofs.

I have not been there lately, but they are probably still roosting there or somewhere nearby.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Nov 28, 2021 2:00 PM
To: <SFBirds@groups.io>
Subject: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?

From my home on the south side of Mt. Davidson I sometimes see many crows (40+) flying to the northeast, usually late in the afternoon.

Hi Kevin,

In past falls/winters there’s been a night roost noted in an area near the foot of the Bay Bridge. My personal highest count of crows heading to that roost was 960 at the end of October several years ago. I’d be curious to hear if anyone can track that roost this year for the CBC.

Dominik 

On Nov 28, 2021, at 15:18, William Grant <wbgrant@...> wrote:

They used to fly to Rincon Annex on Mission near the Embarcadero.

I used to count 200 to 300+ there in the evening after dark

when attending Commenwealth Club meetings near there.

They like the trees and roofs.

I have not been there lately, but they are probably still roosting there or somewhere nearby.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Nov 28, 2021 2:00 PM
To: <SFBirds@groups.io>
Subject: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?

Kevin Shrieve

Thank you Bill and Dominik, for the interesting information. 960 crows! Wow.

radiantcreote

I have a video of this roost from about 9 years ago. Some lawyers in an office contacted me curious if they were ravens or crows (they'd been watching them for years I gathered):

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/58080876

At that point, they were roosting around the Transamerica Pyramid (only in the winter months). They do move around a bunch before they finally settle just after dark.

There is a similar sized roost in Oakland (probably of similar size to this) at Webster and Grand, aka Uptown, or as I like to call it Crowkland.