Topics

What is this hawk?

Mila Zinkova
 

Hello,
I filmed it at tween peaks
Thanks,

Mila.

Peter Pyle
 

Hi Mila -

Looks like a dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk. Good bird for SF.

Cheers, Peter

At 08:12 PM 3/12/2020, Mila Zinkova wrote:
Hello,
I filmed it at tween peaks
<https://youtu.be/9jtLnm074yU>https://youtu.be/9jtLnm074yU
Thanks,

Mila.

Mila Zinkova
 

Thank you, everybody.
Most responders believe it is a red-tailed hawk.
One responder believes it is dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk.
Than you one more time for all responses!
Mila.

On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk

Peter Pyle
 

I’ll look at it again. I thought it hovered more like RLHA and the bill seemed small for RT. But it was a 5-second look, maybe too quick. P

On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:12, Mila Zinkova <milazinkova@...> wrote:

Thank you, everybody.
Most responders believe it is a red-tailed hawk.
One responder believes it is dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk.
Than you one more time for all responses!
Mila.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk

Peter Pyle
 

Having had a chance to look at it more the plumage falls within range of variation for dark-morph juvenile Red-tailed and not Rough-legged, particularly in lacking a dark tail tip, having uniform underparts, and the dark face/hood as others have pointed out. I had not gone beyond the first two clips when looking quickly last night, which give it more of a RLHA look; e.g., the small-looking head and bill when looking away from the camera. But it looks much more like a RTHA in shape during later clips with the raven, etc.

Peter

At 08:12 PM 3/12/2020, Mila Zinkova wrote:
Hello,
I filmed it at tween peaks
<https://youtu.be/9jtLnm074yU>https://youtu.be/9jtLnm074yU
Thanks,

Mila.

Pamela Llewellyn
 

My first impression was juv dark morph RTHA.  Dark head, white breast, heavily streaked belly and under wing coverts, finely banded tail.

Pamlela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932


On Friday, March 13, 2020, 08:12:42 AM PDT, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:


I’ll look at it again. I thought it hovered more like RLHA and the bill seemed small for RT. But it was a 5-second look, maybe too quick. P

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:12, Mila Zinkova <milazinkova@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you, everybody.
> Most responders believe it is a red-tailed hawk.
> One responder believes it is dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk.
> Than you one more time for all responses!
> Mila.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
>>
>> dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk


Pamela Llewellyn
 

Also, light primary wing panels

Pamlela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932


On Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:54:54 AM PDT, Pamela Llewellyn <pamelallewellyn@...> wrote:


My first impression was juv dark morph RTHA.  Dark head, white breast, heavily streaked belly and under wing coverts, finely banded tail.

Pamlela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932


On Friday, March 13, 2020, 08:12:42 AM PDT, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:


I’ll look at it again. I thought it hovered more like RLHA and the bill seemed small for RT. But it was a 5-second look, maybe too quick. P

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:12, Mila Zinkova <milazinkova@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you, everybody.
> Most responders believe it is a red-tailed hawk.
> One responder believes it is dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk.
> Than you one more time for all responses!
> Mila.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
>>
>> dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk


Sarah Burton
 

I went straight to patagials. This is fun!


On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Pamela Llewellyn via Groups.Io <pamelallewellyn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also, light primary wing panels

Pamlela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932


On Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:54:54 AM PDT, Pamela Llewellyn <pamelallewellyn@...> wrote:


My first impression was juv dark morph RTHA.  Dark head, white breast, heavily streaked belly and under wing coverts, finely banded tail.

Pamlela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932


On Friday, March 13, 2020, 08:12:42 AM PDT, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:


I’ll look at it again. I thought it hovered more like RLHA and the bill seemed small for RT. But it was a 5-second look, maybe too quick. P

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:12, Mila Zinkova <milazinkova@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you, everybody.
> Most responders believe it is a red-tailed hawk.
> One responder believes it is dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk.
> Than you one more time for all responses!
> Mila.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
>>
>> dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk