Wh-w Scoter & Brant

Brian Fitch

After an 0-4 rarity search at Lake Merced, I went to the Sutro Baths, where the surf had finally returned to normal after weeks of monster waves.  The species count continued to be less varied than usual, still no murrelets at all, but there was a flock of about 10 Brant on the water way out toward the northwest, and a female White-winged Scoter flew from the south quite close and into the mouth of the Gate.  It's fascinating that we've lost our traditional wintering flock of White-wingeds, but have gained many more flybyes than used to occur.
Brian Fitch