Topics

Western Kingbird and other local interest

David Assmann

After leaving the RED KNOT at Crissy Lagoon this morning, I did a loop around the Presidio, starting with Battery Godfrey (nothing unexpected), and then moving to Mountain Lake Park, where a WARBLING VIREO was singing, and a WESTERN TANAGER was on the hillside south of the park. I also heard what I thought was a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, makings its "turlee" call, but I couldn't find it to confirm.  Spent the last part of the morning at El Polin Spring, where the two surprises were a late WESTERN KINGBIRD, and a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH. I also had a WESTERN TANAGER, a continuing OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, at least one PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, and at least seven WILSON'S WARBLERS. There are lots of newly fledged birds everywhere - yesterday I had a newly fledged WESTERN BLUEBIRD at El Polin, and a newly fledged NUTTALL'S WOODPECKER at Fort Mason.  CLIFF SWALLOWS are in nests near the Warming Hut at Crissy Field - hope they are successful.