western grebe nesting in sf

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

I saw Craig and Jane Spriggs at Fort Funston this afternoon on a flower
walk. Craig told me he saw a pair of Western Grebes on LM with young.
I think there are records from about 1920, but none since. I asked him
to write it up and forward it to me. If anyone can get out there to
confirm this it would be great. The birds were seen on the south lake
between the Pacific Rod and Gun Club and the concrete bridge. That's
along John Muir Dr. I won't have time to check until next Friday.

If anyone is down at Ft. Mason be sure to check for egrets in the
trees. It would be pretty cool if we have them breeding in SF too. If
they nested it is likely there are still young in the nests so we still
have a chance of confirmation. Josiah let me know that it is thought
they are roosting birds that come in for the night.

Best, Dan

Alan Hopkins <ash@...>

I was able to see the Western Grebes with three chicks. The chicks were
about half size and looked mostly white.

I could not find any quail at Fort Funston. I have been to FF many times
since the area has been closed I have never seen anyone on the still
open dune area.

Alan