W Kingbirds

Brian Fitch

Four so far at Battery Godfrey, with a good representation of finches as well.
Watch the sky today if possible.
Brian Fitch

Brian Fitch

I headed to Battery Godfrey this morning with the slight hope that the northeast breeze might bring me some early migrants, and ended up having the best March watch I've ever had here.  7:15 AM until noon, about half the time with Randy Collignon, and after leaving BG, we went over to Kobbe and Upton to see the returned Hooded Oriole in all his glory.  Below are unusual species and high numbers of regulars:

Turkey Vulture - 25 +
White-tailed Kite - 1 southbound
Sharp-shinned Hawk - at least 5 north
Cooper's Hawk - 2 north
Red-tailed Hawk - 7 migrants north
Merlin and Peregrine preying on migrating passerines
Whimbrel - 40 flying together from Pt Bonita to the G Gate
Band-tailed Pigeon - 30+
Rufous Hummingbird - migrating male that dipped below eye level at the bluff, revealing all rufous head and back
Western Kingbird - 10; one landed briefly
Horned Lark - 2 north; I can't recall seeing this species in SF in spring
Tree Swallow - 2
Violet-green Swallow - 30+ migrants, others hawking over Ft Scott
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 25+
Barn Swallow - 10
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - heard in adjacent ceonothus
Spotted Towhee - seen in ceonothus
Purple Finch - 40+ north, in many small groups or pairs
Lesser Goldfinch - 30+, as above
American Goldfinch - 11; I hadn't seen this species this year anywhere in the state until today

Brian Fitch