Topics

Varied thrush pair at the Botanical Garden

Dario Taraborelli

Prompted by Ken, who I bumped into yesterday and gave me the perfect recommendation (thank you, Ken!), I went back to the botanical garden this morning when they opened the truck gate on the Stow Lake side and spotted a cooperative pair of varied thrushes foraging on the ground. The birds appeared near a bench dedicated to Ken and Ruth (37.7676497, -122.4722516) and remained visible for a fairly long time, lazily picking berries on the ground.

I thought I'd share this with the group because even if the bird has been continuing in the garden, it's been pretty elusive for me (it's a lifer) and sightings of pairs in the GGP seem even less frequent, judging on eBird numbers.

Dario

DSC01812.JPG
DSC01813.jpg
DSC01817.jpg
DSC01800.JPG
DSC01811.jpg

Dario Taraborelli

The thrushes are continuing and this morning we saw 3 in the exact same spot around 9am: One male, one female, one immature or female. All foraging on the ground near the bench dedicated to Ken and Ruth.