The Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Eric Preston <ewpreston@...>

was singing his heart out this morning in the ravine on Mt. Davidson. I
appreciate these eastern birds more now that I only see one a season.

Eric
ewpreston@mindspring.com

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

Eric Preston wrote:

was singing his heart out this morning in the ravine on Mt. Davidson. I
appreciate these eastern birds more now that I only see one a season.
Oh, you might get to see another this fall. :-)

After not getting to the UTC in spring for a couple of years, I find a real need
to get back to remember what these birds actually look like.

Mark

--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@pacbell.net
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

"Money can add nothing to what I already have. What enables me to live
better is ideals. Besides, money is like snow in winter. It
accumulates slowly, but melts away rapidly."

- Ba Jin, July 1944, from the Epilogue of "Garden of Repose"
(Foreign Language Press, Beijing, China, first edition 1988. ISBN
0-8351-1055-9)

pac_loon@...

Hi Mark:

Please excuse my ignornace, but what is UTC? Upper ? Coast

Mike Feighner

-----

Luke Cole <luke@...>

At 10:59 AM 6/1/2000 -0700, pac_loon@pacbell.net wrote:

Hi Mark:

Please excuse my ignornace, but what is UTC? Upper ? Coast
The UTC refers to several prime birding locations here in San Francisco,
which we refer to only by their initials to keep out interlopers from other
counties, particularly those to the east of us. But, since our ruse has
been discovered, I'll let you in on the secret(s):

UTC stands for:

Urban Taraval Corridor -- a little known, but surprisingly productive, spot
for House Sparrow, Starling, Brewers Blackbird and Rock Dove. You might
hear mention of the "end of the UTC," which would refer to the beach at
Taraval which can have good shorebirds like Snowy Plover.

Unnamed Trail Convergence -- this spot in the arboretum (you know, where all
those trails come together in that little dell with the trees) is great for
warblers in migration, and White-throated Sparrow in winter. Don't ask me
for a better location, it doesnt have a name.

Utterly Touristed Coast -- the north-east coast of the city, including
Fisherfolks Wharf, Pier 39, and everything through the Ferry building.
Usually to be avoided unless someone reports a Yellow-billed Loon, in which
case wading through the T-shirt vendors may be in order.

Un-trammelled Crissy -- the parts of Crissy Field that are within the big
chainlink fences, which can yield Killdeer and Says Phoebe, and are nearby
tern roosts and the occasional (but fleeting!) White Pelican.

Under Townsend Construction -- down near the new ballpark (I'm resisting
using its corporate name), at the end of Townsend Street, below the huge
cranes, are a smattering of gulls and other parking lot birds. Best to go
early on a game day.

Useless Twitchers Chatter -- never heard on this listserve, thankfully!

Now, the challenge for those of you not privy to the secrets of the city, is
to figure out just which UTC we are referring to in our posts, and which one
the RB Grosbeak frequents!

Good birding,

Luke

Luke Cole