Topics

That gull

Josiah Clark <sunbittern@...>

Hey again,
Harry braught up the possibility of the gull I saw being a young GW Gull,( which I commonly see at Crissy) I want to re iterate. This bird was WHITE. It was totally striking in appearance, even from the top of Merry Way. It was like nothing I have ever seen, (perhaps only because the plumage is so worn, but still a good study)
I am writing again because Ive never heard of such a lack of interest about such a potentially rare species.
I would ask anyone around that area to take a special peek onto the rocks or into the Sutro Baths. The primaries were in such bad shape I could imagine it staying around a while.

Josiah

following is a kind message from Harry about the gull:

That kind of gull wason Ocean Beach Saturday and a similar one at Merced a week
ago...I believe all are yearling Glaucous-winged with very worn feathers...at
least the two I saw were slender but overall taller than the Westerns
nearby...black beak I believe is a key field mark in these veyr light colored
gulls, but I am not a great gullacsious birder

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

I agree with Harry; most of these birds are invariably very worn GWGU,
particularly if they are badly worn.

Did you see the photo of the putative ICGU in Monterey?

Mark

Josiah Clark wrote:

[...]

"Money can add nothing to what I already have. What enables me to live
better is ideals. Besides, money is like snow in winter. It
accumulates slowly, but melts away rapidly."

- Ba Jin, July 1944, from the Epilogue of "Garden of Repose"
(Foreign Language Press, Beijing, China, first edition 1988. ISBN
0-8351-1055-9)