South-end seawatch, 8/8/21 -- Parasitic Jaegers et al.

Paul Saraceni

Yesterday morning, Sunday 8/8 (8-10 AM), I did my first seawatch of this "fall migration" season from usual location at the south end of the Great Highway.

Brisk SW winds, choppy ocean surface, overcast skies, and good visibility. There was a lot of activity with typical species and a moving-feeding frenzy primarily consisting of hundreds of Brown Pelicans and Brandt's Cormorants.

Observations of local interest:

Osprey 1 (flying S over the beach)
W. Grebe 1
Brown Pelican 320
Brandt's Cormorant 740
Pelagic Cormorant 2
Double-cr. Cormorant 42
Whimbrel 81
Sanderling 180
Least Sandpiper 1 (flying N over the beach)
Red-necked Phalarope 1 (flying S low over the ocean)
Elegant Tern 540 (continual stream flying S, including several tight flocks of 20-40)
Caspian Tern 8
PARASITIC JAEGER 7 (1/2/1/1/2; all imms./sub-adults; some pursuing ELTEs, some not)
Com. Murre 2 (1 ad. & 1 juv. together)
Pigeon Guillemot 16 (including 2 juvs.)
RHINOCEROS AUKLET 1 juv. (flying S then landed on the water)

Also:
Botllenose Dolphin 2
Cal. Sea Lion 1

Paul Saraceni