Sora in Stow Lake

Kay Voyvodich

Walking around Stow Lake at approximately 4pm today and noticed an unusual bird (for me). I believe it was a Sora. Location: The bird was in the northeastern corner of the lake (above the Japanese Tea Garden) in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water. This is a screenshot from Google Maps to show you the exact location. Can someone more expert than me confirm this sighting? Thank you. 

in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water. 

Joel Perlstein

A few days ago I ran into the woman who is the head docent for the great blue herons that nest at Stow Lake.
She told me that she regularly sees 2 sora at the location you mentioned.

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Rick Prelinger

We saw a Sora nearby there last week. I think there have been other sightings as well.

Rick

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Library & Archives, San Francisco
footage@...

Professor, Film & Digital Media
UC Santa Cruz
rick@...

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, 17:39 Kay Voyvodich <voyvodichkay@...> wrote:
Walking around Stow Lake at approximately 4pm today and noticed an unusual bird (for me). I believe it was a Sora. Location: The bird was in the northeastern corner of the lake (above the Japanese Tea Garden) in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water. This is a screenshot from Google Maps to show you the exact location. Can someone more expert than me confirm this sighting? Thank you. 

Dario Taraborelli

Despite the fact that all eBird checklists mention a single Sora at Stow Lake, there are definitely two distinct birds in the NE corner of the lake at the exact location mentioned by Kay, see another report here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/68576994

I was lucky to see one of these birds in perfect light a couple of times:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Rick Prelinger <footage@...> wrote:

We saw a Sora nearby there last week. I think there have been other sightings as well.

Rick

Rick Prelinger
footage@...

UC Santa Cruz
rick@...

Ken Moy

I have not seen 2 soras but last week saw a single sora in the same location gathering nesting materials and hauling it towards the shoreline.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 9:04 PM Dario Taraborelli <dario.taraborelli@...> wrote:
Despite the fact that all eBird checklists mention a single Sora at Stow Lake, there are definitely two distinct birds in the NE corner of the lake at the exact location mentioned by Kay, see another report here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/68576994

I was lucky to see one of these birds in perfect light a couple of times:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Rick Prelinger <footage@...> wrote:

Rick

Rick Prelinger
footage@...

UC Santa Cruz
rick@...