Sora in Stow Lake

Kay Voyvodich

Walking around Stow Lake at approximately 4pm today and noticed an unusual bird (for me). I believe it was a Sora. Location: The bird was in the northeastern corner of the lake (above the Japanese Tea Garden) in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water. This is a screenshot from Google Maps to show you the exact location. Can someone more expert than me confirm this sighting? Thank you.

  in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water.

Joel Perlstein

A few days ago I ran into the woman who is the head docent for the great blue herons that nest at Stow Lake.
She told me that she regularly sees 2 sora at the location you mentioned.

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Rick Prelinger

We saw a Sora nearby there last week. I think there have been other sightings as well.

Rick

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Library & Archives, San Francisco
footage@...

Professor, Film & Digital Media
UC Santa Cruz
rick@...

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, 17:39 Kay Voyvodich <voyvodichkay@...> wrote:
Walking around Stow Lake at approximately 4pm today and noticed an unusual bird (for me). I believe it was a Sora. Location: The bird was in the northeastern corner of the lake (above the Japanese Tea Garden) in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water. This is a screenshot from Google Maps to show you the exact location. Can someone more expert than me confirm this sighting? Thank you.

  in and around a large bush/tree whose branches hang into the water.

Dario Taraborelli

Despite the fact that all eBird checklists mention a single Sora at Stow Lake, there are definitely two distinct birds in the NE corner of the lake at the exact location mentioned by Kay, see another report here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/68576994

I was lucky to see one of these birds in perfect light a couple of times:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Rick Prelinger <footage@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Moy

I have not seen 2 soras but last week saw a single sora in the same location gathering nesting materials and hauling it towards the shoreline.