Topics

“Siberian” Whimbrel @ Ocean Beach seawatch, 9/8:19

Paul Saraceni

This morning I found a presumed “Siberian” (variegatus subspecies) Whimbrel at the south end of Ocean Beach, on the relatively narrow (rising tide) beach well south of Sloat and north of the fenced bluff across from the water treatment plant, ie, the seawatch location.

The bird is quite distinctive in flight compared to the common N. American (hudsonicus) subspecies showing a large white wedge on its rump and lower back, and grayish barred tail. There are some noticeable distinctions of this bird when it was on the beach adjacent to the other Whimbrel present, including less distinct facial markings, and darker barring on breast, but these were only readily observed after seeing thus individual in flight and then land. Plenty of photos were taken and will be studied.
It was traveling with a nice flick of 7 Whimbrel (total), 6 Long-billed Curlews, and 1 Marbled Godwit. The flock was briefly joined by a Wandering Tattler, unusual on the beach at this spot.

A couple of other birders stopped by, including Hugh, Mark, Peter, and Siobhan. Still present when I left at 11:15. The flock gets flushed frequently by dogs and walkers but seems to return.

Also from the seawatch:
Surf Scoter 12
Com. Loon 2
Pacific Loon 2
Red-thr. Loon 1
Sooty Sheatwarer 2
Pelagic Cormorant 3
Clark’s Grebe 1
Long-billed Curlew 6 (different flock heading N over ocean)
Red-necked Phalarope 28 (scattered flying over surf and ocean)
Herring Gull 1 ad.
Parasitic Jaeger 10 (all flying N)
Pigeon Guillemot 1 juv.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

Jonah Benningfield

The bird continued until about 5 or 10 minutes ago, at which point it got flushed by some joggers and headed south (along with two Hudsonian homies). Joachim and I are headed to Funston now to see if we can refind it.

all the best,
Jonah B.

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:07 PM, Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:

[...]

Photos of the bird at the following link:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59622200

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

On September 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:

This morning I found a presumed “Siberian” (variegatus subspecies) Whimbrel at the south end of Ocean Beach, on the relatively narrow (rising tide) beach well south of Sloat and north of the fenced bluff across from the water treatment plant, ie, the seawatch location.

The bird is quite distinctive in flight compared to the common N. American (hudsonicus) subspecies showing a large white wedge on its rump and lower back, and grayish barred tail. There are some noticeable distinctions of this bird when it was on the beach adjacent to the other Whimbrel present, including less distinct facial markings, and darker barring on breast, but these were only readily observed after seeing this individual in flight and then land. Plenty of photos were taken and will be studied.
It was traveling with a nice flick of 7 Whimbrel (total), 6 Long-billed Curlews, and 1 Marbled Godwit. The flock was briefly joined by a Wandering Tattler, unusual on the beach at this spot.

A couple of other birders stopped by, including Hugh, Mark, Peter, and Siobhan. Still present when I left at 11:15. The flock gets flushed frequently by dogs and walkers but seems to return.

Also from the seawatch:
Surf Scoter 12
Com. Loon 2
Pacific Loon 2