Topics

SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER @ Candlestick SRA/Yosemite Slough Restoration 7/23/19

From the gate at Thomas and Griffith walk east to the cyclone fence then north past a couple of eucalyptus trees, until you get to a small community garden. from here scope across the fence to the freshwater pond. The Semipalmated Sandpiper was feeding with Least sandpipers on the edge of the pond and in the bare dirt beyond it.

There was a 5.2' high tide ~18:00 today and most of the tidal mud was still submerged when the Semipalmated Sandpiper was seen around the freshwater pond between 20:00-20:40. This could change at lower tide.

A hatch-year Semipalmated Sandpiper that was present here last year 7/28 - 8/2 moved from the freshwater ponds (there were two last year , one has since been filled) to the tidal mud depending on water levels.

Good luck.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco
Sent from my iPhone

Brian Fitch

This morning I (re)found an adult Semipalmated Sandpiper along Yosemite Slough, south side, viewed from the concrete platform by the lone tree.  I had a good study of the alternate plumaged bird as it fed with Least SP's away from any Westerns, and it was likely the bird that Dom reported yesterday.  Except that I also had very brief looks at what I'm pretty certain was a second Semi SP as it entered my scope view accompanied by several Westerns, and then the whole group flew into the hard-to-view back section of the mudflat.  This was around 7:20 AM on the outgoing tide.  The only other unusual species here was an alternate Wandering Tattler sleeping among the rocks by the eastern tide crescent.  There were a good number of Semipalmated Plovers scattered around as well.

Over at Heron's Head, things started slow, as Kevin Liberg attested to when I met him leaving as I arrived (apologies for forgetting to mention the Yosemite shorebirds, Kevin).  I had planned to hang out for a while in hope of a Least Tern, but no terns at all were present.  Kevin mentioned a Sh-b Dowitcher was around, and that was my second target, so I stayed with my plan and parked myself halfway out on the peninsula.  Around 9, Elegant Terns began flying by well off of the point, and at 9:15, a single Least Tern flew just off the point heading north, my first in SF in many years.  On the way out an hour later, a finally spotted a Short-billed Dowitcher feeding, my first in SF since 2017.  This was previously not a species I ever thought I could miss for an entire year, but I managed to do so in 2018.  Kingfisher and Osprey were also present at Heron's Head.

Brian Fitch

From the gate at Thomas and Griffith walk east to the cyclone fence then north past a couple of eucalyptus trees, until you get to a small community garden.  from here scope across the fence to the freshwater pond. The Semipalmated Sandpiper was feeding with Least sandpipers on the edge of the pond and in the bare dirt beyond it.