Topics

Seawatch -- Ashy Storm-Petrel et al., 8/27/19

Paul Saraceni

This morning I did a sea-watch from the south-end of the Great Highway (7:30-8:45 AM). Conditions were excellent with overcast skies, light SW winds, flat, glassy seas, and visibility out to the horizon

The highlight was an ASHY STORM-PETREL that I scoped a ways out as it meandered S over a glassy patch of ocean.

Other observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 35+ (on the ocean)

BLACK SCOTER 1 m. (continuing with the Surf Scoter flock; I did not observe the female that was present on 8/25)

Com. Loon 5 (on the ocean; basic plumage)

SOOTY SHEARWATER 200+ (pretty far out; small pulses heading N)

Long-Billed Curlew 1 (flying S)

Whimbrel 3

Sanderling 12

W. Sandpiper 2 (on the beach with Sanderlings)

Elegant Tern 6 [contrast that amount with the 1000?+ congregating @ Crissy Lagoon]

Parasitic Jaeger 7 (2/4/1)

POMARINE JAEGER 1 ad.

Pigeon Guillemot 8 (including 3 juvs.)

Com. Murre 4 (including 3 juvs.)

Also, a nice variety of marine mammals:

Harbor Seal 1 (swimming N thru the surf)

Humpback Whale 1 (breaching)

Bottlenose Dolphin 5 (1 pod patrolling the surf)

Harbor Porpoise 4 (1 pod)

Mid-morning, while photographing the continuing RUFF @ Crissy Lagoon, I observed 2 BANK SWALLOWS flying over the footbridge and continuing E.  The latter is an uncommon migrant in SF away from Lake Merced & Ft. Funston bluffs.

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco