Topics

Say’s Phoebe at Jefferson Square

Smokey Bear

Shows that we are having a great fall migration and that any old overrun spot in the City can yield good stuff if you keep your eyes on the prize. This particular bird was flycatching off a soccer goalpost in the newly renovated Lang Field, which gave me pause. I guess there were enough bugs and few enough people to make it interesting to the Phoebe, but any bird with infrared- or UV-spectrum vision (isn’t that most birds?) wouldn’t be fooled by artificial turf. I don’t know what their perception is of artificial turf and how hostile they find it. Food for thought.

Anna