Topics

Saturday pelagic - Rare good weather forecast for May!

Alvaro Jaramillo

Penbirds and SFBirds,

      As spring is often our windiest time of year on the coast, it can be rare to have a relatively flat day offshore in May. But the forecasts are calling for low waves, and clear skies for this Saturday. Photo opportunities might be good, perhaps great! Captain Dennis Baxter started to see a big influx of shearwaters on Monday, and there were Black-footed Albatross within 10 miles from shore, so closer than they usually are. Small offshore migrant gulls he reported may be Sabine’s or Bonaparte’s. This is a great date to see breeding plumaged alcids, and Red and Red-necked phalaropes in full splendor arriving shearwaters and perhaps some lingering winter birds (kittiwake, fulmars, Ancient Murrelet). It is also a great time for finding Laysan Albatross if we find a concentration of albatrosses out there. Grey Whales are still going through, and Humpbacks are back. We hope that we can find some great wildlife in addition to the birds.

   Saturday May 4, from Half Moon Bay. We may hit parts of SF and San Mateo counties during our time out there. Spring is always interesting, we do not get out there enough at this time of year. A surprise is always a possibility.

Contact me, or have a look at the schedule and book here:

http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

regards

alvaro@...