Topics

San Francisco Christmas Count Week Starts Today!

Siobhan Ruck

Just a reminder:

With the San Francisco Christmas Bird Count taking place this Friday, 12/27, the Count Week period begins today, 12/24 and runs through next Monday, 12/30. Any species seen within the count area during this period can be included in our total, even if they are not seen on count day.

If you see an uncommon species during the period and want to make sure it’s included, please post the sighting to SF Birds or email me directly. (eBird is great for a lot of things, but not for this, unfortunately.) After the count, I’ll post information about sightings and a “wish list” of species we usually see that were missed on count day.

If you think you signed up for the count but have not been contacted yet, please let me know. All assignments have been sent out, but we can still get you on a team.

If you find yourself available unexpectedly, you can contact me to be added to a team - we usually end up with a few last minute cancellations, and you can help fill out a team which might otherwise be short-handed. You don’t have to be an ace birder to count - people of all levels are welcome.

Interested in doing the count, but not sure what’s involved or weren’t ready to sign up this year? Josiah Clark will be hosting a field trip at Crissy Field from 8:30-10:30am where the public can come watch the count in action and see the count methodologies used. If you like what you see and want to be part of it in the future, you can join us next year on Tuesday 12/29/20!

Thanks all,
Siobhan Ruck