Topics

Ruff continues September 3

Eddie Bartley

September 3: Noreen and I had fun showing a visiting American Bird Conservation biologist some local sand and not so local birds while yakking about conservation issues and strategies. We met at the Crissy Lagoon where the juvie Ruff was active as were at least 17 Snowy Egrets (a lot!) were feeding and chasing each other around. Also Great-blue,Great Egret and Black-crowned Night Heron.

Great scope views of the Ruff and lil' later great naked eye views of it feeding on the sand bar.

A stroll to the Wildlife Protection area was not so productive: negative on plovers but another LB Curlew and 3 Common Loons, 6 Surf Scoters on the water, Elegant Terns, many Pelies and Cormorants on the air.

Crissy Field was popping. Fairly sure I had a bunting but it was flushed before I could confirm. Anyway, lot's of blackbirds and starlings, American, Lesser Goldfinches, couple of Violet-greens mixed in with Barn Swallows.

Red-breasted Nuthatch was calling from the willows (NW corner of lagoon) on the return. Looks like the remaining two juvie American White Pelicans have probably moved on.

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley