Topics

ruddies

Harry Fuller <harry_fuller@...>

Hugh, Dan, Alan, anybody: are the baby Ruddy Ducks at south Merced worthy of
some kind of write-up? would it be worth "North American Birds" for example?

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

I thought small numbers of RUDU breed in various locations in the Bay Area.

Mark

Harry Fuller wrote:

Hugh, Dan, Alan, anybody: are the baby Ruddy Ducks at south Merced worthy of
some kind of write-up? would it be worth "North American Birds" for example?

"Money can add nothing to what I already have. What enables me to live
better is ideals. Besides, money is like snow in winter. It
accumulates slowly, but melts away rapidly."

- Ba Jin, July 1944, from the Epilogue of "Garden of Repose"
(Foreign Language Press, Beijing, China, first edition 1988. ISBN
0-8351-1055-9)

Alan Hopkins <ash@...>

Harry,

I think the Ruddies are worth writing up � even if they don't make it in
N. American Birds.

Alan

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

Hi Harry,

I think we have old records for Ruddy Ducks reproducing at LM. I don't think it
should be a NABirds report, but I do think this is just what should be in the
Gull. It's incredible how important those old Gulls are for learning about
birding in the past. They published all field trip reports until we had too
many trips to report on. That forum should continue to be a significant local
source of information about such things as relatively common birds nesting in
our area. Actually the Ruddy Duck record is a pretty good one since they don't
nest in the City every year.

Best, Dan