From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621@...>
Date: 11/21/22 12:35 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Sf Birds <sfbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [SFBirds] Royal tern search

Pedaled by Crissy Field and with the roosting island submerged on the high tide, I spent an hour or so sorting through 200 or more Elegant Terns foraging and roosting nearby on the bay among California Gulls. With the use of the scope I was confident I was seeing only Elegant Terns.
There were far more birds seen from Battery Godfrey foraging outside the gate over the ocean earlier in the morning on my way over, with especially impressive numbers of gulls and terns off of the Kirby Cove area. They are apparently focusing on a glut of Anchovies out there, which is getting late.

Some birders without a scope saw just 4 Elegant Terns fly over the marsh just minutes before I was there and the Royal was with them. Unbelievable!
Good birding and happy count season
--
Josiah Clark | Habitat Potential | Consulting Ecologist | 415.317.3978
License #1043929